Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Hi! Remember Me? by Karen McGovern

Just a heads up...this post is going to be all over the place.

It seems like forever since I've posted to the blog! I've flaked the past couple months--life getting in the way and all that. Plus, summer. Everything gets weird in the summer. Trying to juggle work, family, and cramming in a vacation if you can, plus WORK....and it's been one of the hottest summers in South Florida. Days and days of temps hovering around 100 degrees. I work and live on a 40 acre wildlife sanctuary and work out doors EVERY DAY. I wilted about a month ago and am only now beginning to feel even remotely life-like.

So, here's the highlights of the past couple months. I went to Maine with my BFF, who happens to have a family home on the island of Vinalhaven off the coast of Maine. I spent four days with her and her lovely sister STUFFING MY FACE WITH SHELLFISH and generally laying around in a coastal paradise. It was HEAVEN.



Then, a major event for me personally--I GOT MY OWN STUDIO BUILDING! That's right folks, I am moving out of the garage and into my very own space on our property!!!!!!! I am SO EXCITED. I got an all wood shed from WeatherKing Sheds. 10 x 14. It arrived after my Maine excursion and I have been working on it non-stop with my patient, understanding and heroically helpful husband. A few pics below of the process. Painting, flooring, AIR CONIDTIONING (OMG), and today we installed the shelves. I set up my soldering station an hour ago, next I move my bench. That is where the nightmare truly begins. My bench is a TOTAL MESS. Since planning for this building I have basically abandoned my work space and have been dumping A BILLION THINGS on it that I plan to somehow move. UGH. So many things. I am amazed at all the STUFF I have accumulated. I had no idea. I started several boxes of beads and findings that I plan to destash in a week. Yes, I am holding a HUGE destash sale starting on Friday the 25th if I can get myself together by then. Here is the Facebook link--I'll be offering beads, findings, finished works and whatever else I don't want to move!!! So, join me if you can. There will be some pretty amazing deals.....seriously. Until this is all done, I am not creating anything new, which is killing me. Can't wait for the fresh, shiny new space to totally wreck in a matter of weeks!!!



Prior to the building excitement, I had made a new line of pendants featuring my favorite stone of the moment, Rio Grand Rustics. This stuff so amazing--I'm obsessed. Angela Fowler cuts it and I fell hard for this organic material. I have a pile more set aside and have some ideas for bracelets as well as pendants. Can't wait to begin!!! Hopefully I'll be back at work artistically within the next two weeks....or I'll go CRAZY.



Finally, I also took a break from posting much (other than photos of monarch butterflies because I hatched and released FIFTY monarch and queen monarch butterflies on my back porch) because I was getting really burned out with all the noise I found myself in the midst of online. I am a member of and follow several arts groups on Facebook, and I have become really sad and depressed the seeming WEALTH of negativity rolling off folk's keyboards. Slamming artists left and right for every perceived slight or misspoken word, attacking people behind their backs (or not) and just general shitty behavior. I've written about this before, and I'll say it again. Don't support this online bullying. Please. Follow the THINK rule. Before you post, consider the following. Is your post thoughtful, honest, important, NECESSARY and kind? There is so much horror and sadness in the world. As artists we need to lift each other up. Art is an intimate expression, a link so someone's often private thoughts and feelings. Unless you are explicitly asked to critic this work, keep your negative thoughts and opinions to yourself. Pleaseandthankyou.



To close, I leave you with a video of an amazing artist named Riusuke Fukahori. I've seen his work before in images, but never a video of his process. He creates STUNNING three-dimensional paintings in resin of fish and other undersea creatures. IT WILL BLOW YOU AWAY. I love finding images and video like this. Art and artists that take your breath away. That is what art should do!!! 



Now, go make something AMAZING!


5 comments:

stacilouise said...

Summer is always crazy for me too! So happy you are back and I can not wait for you to have your studio done! it feels soooo good to have a "real" space to work- set up just the way you want. so worth it. <3

Bijoux Gems Joy said...

Congrats on the new dedicated studio. Very exciting. Would love to participate in your facebook destash when it goes up, not accessible yet.

I know what you mean about the facebook posts lately. There are several chains I've read where I've just sat back and thought "Wow. What brought this on?". I think everyone is starting to notice again, even in the groups where this type of activity isn't seen, with a lot of reminders appearing about being friendly and supportive sites, being kind to each other, forum rules, etc. I agree that sometimes you just need to take a break from it. I have almost all my groups set not to notify me. I go in on my own schedule and check out what's happening. True, I do miss out on some time sensitive notifications but I also don't get buried in a lot of the drama.

So wonderful to hear about the butterfly hatchings. Thanks for helping with keeping the monarchs population viable. Being up toward the northern end of
their route the most we get to do is provide some food stops in their flight paths.
Mona

Robbie said...

OMG...this artist is AMAZING!!! I keep watching the video over and over!!! Thanks for sharing!!! And hope to see you back more often!

Carla said...

I live in Maine...glad you enjoyed your time here! Congratulations on your new space. I agree about the noise on fb and such...messy. I have cut back a lot on my online time now. Soon as I get my home ready for the upcoming long winter I hope to spend my time creating in my art room. LOVE that fish video...what talent! So neat to watch him paint with a broom! Thanks and enjoy!

Lynn Carling said...

Loved reading your article! Tried to access you your Facebook link for the Destash event but it just said "content unavailable."

face
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...